January 15, 2010

color, or black and white

Well, because I give my clients the freedom to print their photos wherever and whenever they want, I tell them that if they want to develop any of the photos in black and white to let me know so I can convert them into b&w.

It is hard to explain to people why I want to convert a color photo to black & white instead of a photo lab, so let's look at why I like to convert them.

Here is the color photo I want to demonstrate with. This is the photo SOOC (straight out of camera).

It is a fine photo, but I like to edit it a bit to make her "pop" more.
Here it is with a few edits.

Now, if I want to make it black and white, here is what it would look like if I converted it at/through a photo lab.

And that looks fine. But I still want her to pop more, so, I make a few more edits, and this is how I like my b&w photos to look.

A little more contrast, a little brighter. (although it looks too bright here on blogspot. like she is glowing. oh well) And the b&w edits are definitely customizable. Brighter, Darker, Less Contrast, etc.

This isn't how everyone likes their photos, and that is ok. But I like it this way.
And if you do too, tell me to convert your photos.
Don't forget!

Ok, one more just because. Here is that same last photo with a "texture" added. Just some fun scrolls.

1 comment:

brenley said...

definitely like how you edit! i need to have a cs4 tutorial from you again! you are brilliant!